Monday, November 5, 2007

Are rainbows really good luck?



We all have symbols that we think are lucky. For some it's a rabbit's foot or a coin and for other's it's a rainbow. As far as science is concerned they are optical phenomenons, but have you ever thought about the spiritual meanings behind the visions of rainbows?

Today Val and I are shooting the wedding of Mia and Sean. A wonderful couple who have in the planning of this special day incorporated many spiritually significant details. So when I caught this first rainbow through the misting spray at the fountains of Logan's Square I was pleasantly surprised. Because after all rainbows are pretty and maybe even lucky and until now I never knew, spiritual as well.

Now with this next image things take a turn for the amazing. I captured this image on the rooftop of the Franklin Institute after finishing up with the Bridal Party and Family Portraits. After everyone had walked indoors I happened to look up and saw this rainbow I looked at Val and pointed and we both clicked away.

This rainbow is sometimes called a fire rainbow or a circumhorizontal arc. A circumhorizontal arc is an optical phenomenon similar in appearance to a rainbow, caused by the refraction of light through the ice crystals in cirrus clouds. It occurs only when the sun is high in the sky, at least 58° above the horizon. The phenomenon is quite rare, since the ice crystals must be aligned horizontally (instead of the more typical vertical alignment) The conditions necessary to create this vision are so precise and are rarely witnessed let alone captured.

So seeing these two rainbows today got me thinking. Are Rainbow sightings lucky or maybe just a weather phenomenon or even yet are they Spiritual in meaning?

Rainbows are mentioned in four separate passages in the Bible. A study of these passages gave the following representation of what the Rainbow signified at each mention.
  • Promise
  • Hope
  • Power
  • Mercy
So as I reflect on the day I must conclude that although I know the science behind how they are made I do feel a sense of awe and spiritual connection as well. I translate these images to the meanings as follows:

PROMISE- whatever hardships you are experiencing you will be brought through the storm
HOPE - never give up! Ever
POWER - have trust and know that there is power and a plan to get you through difficulties
MERCY - through Love you can have mercy and thereby extend grace

Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

No comments: