Monday, October 1, 2007

Perspective...

Sometimes I think that we as Americans can become overly consumed in our quest for the "good life." We work harder and longer and race to meet deadlines so that we can have the means to enjoy the things that we seem never to have the time to enjoy. Ironically enough isn't it. I think that our minds can sometimes become clouded and in the big scheme of things it just doesn't matter. Two things occurred today that put this realization into perspective for me.

The first was an article in Philadelphia magazine that I read as I took my lunch break (yes, even though I don't technically answer to anyone while at work I force myself to take a break to eat lunch - it helps me to focus.) The article was about how we have lost so many aspects in American culture. Read the headlines, listen to the radio and Tv news stories and you hear so much about the loss of civility in public behavior, fair play in business, honest competition amongst our sporting competitions etc. etc. etc. Character gets lost in the midst of people trying to get ahead at any cost. I believe that this winning at any cost mentality as well as the pressures imposed on our children to do so is a sickness that can not in any way build the kind of future that is anything more than hollow in nature and shallow in character. So, I'm reading and reading and thinking, yes! How true! What's wrong with us! Meanwhile I myself work too many hours, don't spend enough time enjoying my family or friends and have not gone to the beach once this year for myself but 10 times for engagement and portrait sessions. So, of course I vow to work smarter not harder and take care of a few overdue and much needed bursts of relaxation and reflection plus research moving to Amsterdam since someone once told me that they have free health care plus I love the way the dutch grow their flowers. I'm at this point so very self absorbed in the most minute of details vacillating between the state of society, where's my UPS delivery, creating albums and doing edits, making lists, returning calls - the list goes on - we all know how that goes then....The phone rings....

I answer the phone and it's Molly. Molly was calling to thank us for doing an amazing job at her wedding. She spoke at length about this. As I listened to her I couldn't help but get a little choked up. Not because I was so happy that she was happy but because she had so many more things that she should be focused on like her health yet she was calling me. On her wedding day there was a medical emergency and she is recuperating from that as we speak. She's young and full of life and I know that she will pull through. Apparently reading this blog and viewing the images is something that can bring some joy to some clients. So Molly, I dedicate this blog to you and to your strength and I look forward to the day that you put your dress back on and you and I and Lori and Katie shoot the most amazing of post bridals with you and Lee! You said something that stuck in my head when we were talking, you questioned why did this happen to you but immediately after uttering those words you said never mind because the important thing is that I am still alive.....Perspective..... Thank you for the brevity of your words. Enjoy these teasers and we will dance and party again real soon!















4 comments:

CG said...

Hi Cindy,
Thanks so much for this post.

Chelsea (Molly's sister)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! What more can you say? Thanks for sharing! cjh

Anonymous said...

Molly and Lee are such a gorgeous couple, and even with the emergency is was an amazing day!! Thanking you for sharing these photos. Carly

Anonymous said...

This blog couldn't have said it any better, "perspective", the one word to sum it all up.

Thank you for taking the time to write this....reminding us of what really matters. The pictures are amazing and I can't wait to see the finished result.

-Brooke-