Thursday, June 28, 2007

Tribute - The Cardinal Part One. 6-28-07

Tonight I spent the evening with Lynn for an emotional and at times painful(for her) experience at 12oz Studios with the very talented Lara. After having had a consultation several weeks ago we went to the studio to see what vision Lara had created from the discussion. Here's the background info:

We all grieve and heal differently. I'm the type of person that internalizes way too much. I think it's my Asian heritage. I know that's not healthy so I pour my emotions out in other ways like my love of photography, capturing and showing emotion vicariously through my images and my love of cooking. I love to create the most amazing menu and entertain my friends and family, a true labor of love if you've ever eaten at my table. Lynn however wears her emotions on her sleeves. Those that know her know her to be an open book. Which is endearing. You always know how she feels, trust me... Happy, sad, mad, hurt, angry, joyful - it's all out there without masks. So enter the Cardinal. The Cardinal is a symbol for Lynn's mom who was her best friend and has since passed away. She got that nickname from Ralph, Lynn's brother. Having coined it after seeing their mom wake up after naps and having both sides of the hair on her head plastered upwards like a cardinal. Needless to say since Helen's passing we see cardinals often and in the least predicable locations and times. Almost like a reminder or sign of sorts that your loved ones are always nearby, thinking of you and a presence regardless of life or death.

We consulted with Lara about the story of the cardinal and that Lynn specifically wanted to incorporate cherry blossoms and a cardinal into the tattoo. Lara is truly a gifted artist. What she came up with almost brought us to tears. The scene once finished will have a cardinal flying away from a cherry blossom branch clutching a broken stem in its claws. Everything in color will symbolize life a lot of the tattoo will be in shades of gray. The Cardinal flies away from the living branch yet holds on. The stem may represent memories, love, who knows. I'm sure it can be interpreted in many ways, but for Lynn it's a way to keep mom close to her heart. So everyone, call your mother, sister, father, wife, husband, child, friend today and for no reason at all just tell them that you love them just because you can.

Check back for part Two the finished product.





The Design Sketch

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you brought your camera to take a few picture for the "in progress" part of the process. It hurt like hell, but it's looking nice and will be beautiful when completed. Glad the room was big enough that Lara allowed us to get the pics without getting in her way. Thanks for taking time out and hang with me that night!

Amber said...

That is very nice. Tattoos are a symbol of feelings, I feel with Lynn on that one. Many people have tattoos to represent a loved one. I can't wait for part two, and I have to remember to ask to see this lovely art in person.